General ICT Help
What is your Personal File Store?
- Your Personal File Store holds the contents of your My Documents folder and its sub-folders.
- It is an area allocated to you on a central computer where staff and students can securely save their files.
- You can access your personal file store from any computer with Internet access, either on or off campus.
- You have to log in to use it, so only you have access to your area.
- The service is available 24 hours a day.
How much space do you get?
Students - 600 MB University storage.
Staff - 4000 MB (4GB).
You must keep backups of any important files that you put in your personal file store.
Although automatic backups are taken
daily, this is only to cover the unlikely event of a fault which causes total
loss of the central file store. In this case, it should be possible to recover
all files to their state as of the previous day, and prompt action will be
taken to recover all files lost through server failure. However, IT Services
will only consider the recovery of individual files, lost due to other causes,
in exceptional circumstances, as this is a complex and time-consuming procedure.
You are responsible for ensuring that you log on using your own username and password, and that you use the appropriate method of saving your files for the PC you are using.