How Research Students use MFDs and get door access required to work in staff areas
This page explains what you need to do to use the Multi Function Devices (MFDs) in staff areas for printing or photocopying. You will need a University Student smartcard and a Student IT account. The student smartcard that is issued to all students provides door access along with printing/copying via the MFDs.
How to use the MFDs and get door access within staff areas
- If you find that you need access to staff only areas after you have received your student smartcard, you need to get this approved by your Director of Studies/Supervisor. To do this, please ask them to send an email to Sandy Shaw in Facilities stating your name, student number and the areas you require access to.
Once the extra door access has been approved you will be contacted and asked to take your student smartcard to the site office in MA130 on City Campus where they will assign the required access to your card.
How to get Print/Copy Credit assigned to your Student card to be used for Research activities
- PCounter credit to an agreed credit amount needs to be approved by the Director of Studies/Supervisor of the school that the researcher is funded by.
- To credit the PCounter account of the Researcher, the Director of Studies/Supervisor needs to raise an IGRN (Internal Goods Requisition Note) which needs to be sent to the Print Services Unit containing the following information:
- Once the Print Services Unit receive the paperwork and it is processed they will log an IT Service Desk call to get the Research Student's PCounter account credited electronically in conjunction with IT Services.
- The person who's name is given as the contact name in the Service Desk call notes will be contacted to advise that the PCounter account has been credited.
|Research Students Full name|
|Research Students Student Number (7 digit)|
|The Cost Centre to be recharged|
|The amount to be credited to the Research Students PCounter (print/copy) account|
|The IGRN is to be sent through internal mail to: Stuart Mellor, Print Services Unit, City Campus|
|Please add a note to the IGRN to say this is for a Researcher|
Note: Research students no longer need to be issued with a staff smartcard as the new student smartcard can be set up to give access to all facilities as required.