University of Wolverhampton

IT Self Help

If you have problems with printing or photocopying using PCounter and/or an MFD (Multi-Function Device), please ask for help.

If you're using an MFD, and you have a paper jam or need the toner/paper to be replaced, please contact a key operator as listed on the notice next to the MFD to report the problem.

For other student printing/photocopying problems, please ask staff in the following locations:

Alternatively, have a look at the PCounter FAQs which might answer your query.

If you find that you still need help having looked at the FAQs, please contact the IT Service Desk on extension 2000 (01902-322000) during their opening hours.  You will need to provide the following information:

The Service Desk Advisor that takes your call will pass your query on to specialist technical staff, who will investigate and get back to you as soon as possible.

  • Date: August 2010
  • Last reviewed: August 2010